Monday, April 20, 2009

My Experience with the Mariott Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC/New York Avenue

From check-in to check-out, my stay at this hotel was the worst experience that I have ever had. The amount of anxiety that I have had to endure while at this establishment was not worth the money that I had saved by not staying closer to the downtown DC area.

First, upon making my reservations, I specified that there would be 3 guests, and that I required a roll-away bed to be included with the room. When I arrived at this hotel, and checked into the room, I found that the room was extremely small, and that the Roll-away bed was not present. I called the front desk to request that the roll-away bed be brought up, and the attendant assured me that he would bring one up himself, and right away. After about an hour, we still had not received the roll-away bed. I called again down to the front desk, this time it was another clerk who answered, said that the first attendant had gone for the day, and that she would check and see if a roll away bed was available. A half-hour later, we still had not gotten one. When calling the front desk again, she assured me that someone had just been sent to bring it up to us, and 10 minutes later a security guard came to my room to let me know that no beds were available, and gave me instead some extra blankets. I called the front desk, where an increasingly rude clerk informed me that the roll-away bed was a request and not a guarantee. I informed her that the room would not suffice, as 3 people cannot share a bed, and she agreed to upgrade us to a larger room.

For the next 2 nights that I had stayed there, I was terrorized by loud and inebriated guests roaming the halls and knocking on doors in the early hours of the morning. Calls to the front desk were not answered by attendants, and when I complained in the morning, they were very apologetic, but could not provide any answers or satisfaction.

The last incident that I encountered with the Fairfield Marriott is the worst transgression, and the real matter of my discontent with the Marriot family. When attempting to withdraw money at an ATM, I received a message saying that my card was not valid. Customer service at my bank told me that the Fairfield had attempted to charge my card in the amount of $10,002 (Ten Thousand and Two) dollars several times and as a fraud precaution my bank had put a hold on my card. I advised my bank that this must have been an error, notified the general manager at the Fairfield, who agreed that it must be a computer glitch, and he agreed and apologized for the inconvenience. My bank lifted the hold from my card.

On the day of my departure, while performing my online banking, I noticed 2 charges on my account made by the Fairfield, one for $1,000 (One Thousand) dollars, and another for $500 (Five Hundred) dollars. Again, I spoke with the General Manager, and he was unable to find record of these charges to my room. I provided him with the information of my bank, where he was to fax a letter stating that the charge was in error. He assured me prior to my checking out that this was done. Upon my return home, my bank has told me that they have not received this fax, and I have been on the phone several times with another general Manager at the Fairfield, who again assured me that she has resent this fax. I spoke with the complaint department at Marriott, who could not get in contact with the Fairfield DC, nor could they provide me with any recourse.

To this very moment, my bank has not received this fax, and unless the Fairfield rectifies the situation on their end, I will not get this $1500 dollars credited back to my account. As this is a debit account involved, I am out of actual cash and cannot attain mobility until my next pay cycle.

I have never before encountered any situation like this at any hotel that I have stayed at. Rest assured, that I will never frequent the Fairfield at Washington DC, or any other Marriott branded hotel ever again. In addition, I will advise all of my friends, family, business associates, clients, and vendors of my experience, and implore that they do the same. It is quite obvious to me now that employees at the Marriott chain hotels are defrauding their guests, and the management of Marriott is perpetrating this fraud by not taking steps to prevent this activity. I believed the Marriott to be a trusted name in the hospitality industry, but now I see that this is not the case.

No comments: